Watching the sea planes taking off and landing in the harbour.

A pants-less Oliver watches the sea planes taking off and landing in the harbour.

I’ve broken the first day into two posts, as there was a lot going on that day.


The first morning of potty training is under our belt, and I could not have asked for a smoother or more successful start!

After Oliver’s morning breastfeed, I put him on his change table, removed his diaper, and told him, “Today your diapers are going bye-bye. No more diapers anymore. All of your pee-pee and poo-poo go into the potty now. When you have to pee-pee or poo-poo, you tell Mommy.”

I dressed Oliver in a long-sleeved t-shirt and a pair of socks. In an ideal world, he would have been completely naked, but it’s winter, and the idiosyncrasies of our heating system mean that I can’t simply “crank the heat” for a day.

Upon removal of his diaper, Oliver immediately asked for the potty, so I put him down on the floor and told him to go. He walked into his bathroom, sat, and peed. This wasn’t a huge deal, as we’ve been pottying at diaper changes for months, but it was a promising start to the day.

As soon as Oliver had peed, I decided it would be a good opportunity to cook breakfast for us, since this cooking takes time — time during which I would not be able to give him my full, undivided attention. I brought his potty into the kitchen and closed the kitchen door. He sat on it a couple of times on his own initiative, and even made a small pee. Once breakfast was cooked and on the table, I told him, “Breakfast is ready. Let’s pee and wash your hands, and then we’ll eat.” And he peed.

I brought the potty chair out to the dining room for breakfast, just in case he needed to go while eating. I was a little bit nervous about him peeing in the high chair, as I know that he usually has wet diapers after meals, but he held it together. I quickly cleaned up the dining area and kitchen, keeping as close an eye as possible on Oliver, and reminding him that his potty was right there if he should need it. Then we went into his room to play.

After about a half hour, I knew he would have to pee soon, but I decided not to prompt him because I wanted to give him the chance to recognize the sensation that occurs before he needs to go. I knew the pee would come any time, and of course it happened during a brief (like, five seconds brief) lapse in my attention. He had pulled one of his IKEA toy bins off the shelf and climbed inside, as he often likes to do. It suddenly occurred to me that he may have been doing this as a way of seeking privacy to pee or poop, and when I looked down, sure enough, he was just finishing his pee. I picked him up and carried him to the potty, and told him, “Pee-pee goes in the potty.” He didn’t have to go anymore, but he sat on the potty for a moment, and then I cleaned the bin and all its contents.

We spent most of the rest of the morning reading books and watching the sea planes, helicopters and traffic from the bedroom window. Oliver was becoming agitated around 11:00, and I recognized that he most likely had to poo. I kept a very close eye on him, then prompted him to sit on the toilet at 11:15. He peed, but would not sit any longer to poop. Over the course of the next hour or so, he became increasingly fussy, pacing around the room and acting irritated. I brought him to the potty a couple of times, and there were a few times that he went and sat on it by himself, but he did not poop.

Doing art... half naked :)

Doing art, half naked.

At 12:30 he was becoming quite cranky — probably a combination of slight hunger, tiredness and really having to poop. I told him, “Go sit on the potty and make a pee-pee and poo-poo, and then we are going to go have some yoghurt for lunch” He peed, but still no poop. Just like at breakfast, I brought the potty out to the dining room. Mid-way through lunch, I saw the beginnings of the “poo face.” I quickly picked him up and put him on the potty. He tried, but nothing came out. After lunch, he began to play behind the room divider (one of his favourite places to hide and poop in his diapers) while I was clearing the table, so I kept a very close eye on him, trying not to hover.

I can’t even remember what the noise was — he might have said “potty” or “poo-poo,” or he might have just started to cry, but I somehow knew exactly what he was about to do. I quickly grabbed him and sat him on the potty, right in the nick of time, as the poop was already coming out. He pooped in the potty and we both celebrated :).

I brought him to his bedroom and told him, “You did such a great job this morning! Now it’s nap time, so we’re going to use a diaper because you might not remember to use the potty when you are sleeping.” Diaper on, into the crib, and he was out like a light in less than 10 minutes. He napped for three hours. It must have been an exhausting morning for him. It was for me :).

Next: Potty Training. Day One. Afternoon.


  1. Pingback: Having A Poo On The Toilet Can Be Scary - The Real Supermum·

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s